Crab apple – process behind the artwork

FullSizeRender (10)lo res

The process behind the development of the artwork for the crab apple tree. See image above – a sample of one of the ten perspex pieces being etched and laser cut by Philip in the Laser Company for the Trinity College Trees Exhibition.

The artist was very lucky to have a wonderful fellow artist who took over the technological aspects of the crab tree artwork. I gave Ayelet Lalor the scanning electron microscope image, a drawing of this image segmented into ten pieces and ten pieces of unique handwriting from willing participants who visited the Rose Garden in Trinity College Dublin during May 2017. See all images below.

crab apple001 lo res

IMG_0331 (2)lo res

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Firstly Ayelet drew out the segmented sections. She then imported all the text into these segments along curved lines that she created. She inserted hanging holes and spent a long amount of time tweaking the thickness of the handwriting.  See images below.

sectionslo res

Screen Shot 2017-09-09 at 13.17.30 lo res

sections copy.jpg

All this process sounds reasonably simple but she put a huge amount of work into and I and the team are very grateful.

To follow a little bit of information about Ayelet herself and below an image of her work.

“Ayelet Lalor is a visual artist whose figurative work includes clay, concrete and bronze,and more recently, print. Her work has been shown both nationally and internationally, and is included in significant public and corporate collections.”

wild flower walk jun 17

‘Wild flower walk’, screen print by Ayelet Lalor, 2017.

The art works in progress – Hop Hornbeam

Before undertaking the making of the artwork for the Hop Hornbeam tree I had to figure out how to make it. I could not work directly on the tree while shaping and making the ‘corset’. I also realised that it would be virtually impossible to measure accurately all the curves and bends of the 3D shape. I would therefore need to create a rough mould to work with and on. Normally I would have done this using plaster bandage/ silicone etc, materials that were definitely not suitable for working with a crumbly bark surface. After some thought and a chat with my fellow artist and super mould maker Ayelet Lalor we decided that the malleable and un intrusive properties of tinfoil would work best.

So one fine morning about a month ago Ayelet, Clodagh Dooley and I set about making a temporary tinfoil mould of the selected area. We used copious amounts of tinfoil, selotape and support sticks. See image below of Clodagh and Ayelet busy helping me with the large task. Thanks again to both of them. It was quite a fun task to do and of course we got some interesting looks and comments from passers by.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

As the piece to be moulded was so large we created it in three more manageable sections, which I transferred by car to my studio. I quickly backed the reverse of the mould with plaster bandage to preserve the shape and add strength. See image below.

backing of Mould of Hophornbeam lo res

The next step in the process was somehow to get the mould into a similar set up to the real life tree in my studio. Using a mannequin as a central support and substructure I covered it with chicken to roughly simulate the tree trunk. The mould was gently re-attached and adhered to the substructure.  I set to work trying out various ideas on how I would segment the artwork. See images below.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

After deciding which option to go for I made paper patterns for the corset. This was a quite a tricky process as you can see bellow.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Finally I placed the pattern sections on the fabric and cut out the individual pieces. Each section was then carefully sewn together. See images below.

The time had come to see how the artwork looked and functioned. I pegged the work onto the mould. At this stage I lightly stuck on some of the blue fabric strips onto the lines delineating the different sections. See images below.

Happy with the progress of the piece so far I now had to remove the blue strips and sew an extra channel into each section to allow the support wire to be inserted. At this stage I felt it was important to bring the piece into Trinity to test it’s fit. Before doing this I reattached the piece to the mould to work out some of the kinks with the wiring and fit before doing this.

On a Saturday the 24th of June I brought the work in progress into Trinity and spent many hours stretching and temporarily tying it into place. It was during this time that I had to make some final decisions on where the tying points should be on the corset. Seeing the piece in place also helped me decide on the need to wire and cover all the edges of the corset with the blue fabric. See a selection of images from the installation.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Lots more work needs to be done to the surface of the corset. I won’t post any more images of it until it has been finally installed in late September 2017.

The exhibition will officially open to the public on Friday 29th of September. The opening will coincide with the Trinity College European Researchers Night 2017 events. During the evening Olivia Hassett will perform alongside the Oregon Maple in the main square twice and there will be also be a guided walk of the eight artworks spread throughout the Trinity College Campus. I will post the eventbrite details to sign up for the guided walk at a later stage.